Stone house of Astrit Tahsum Kryeziu is located in the complex called “Saraj Hill’, at the core of ‘Grand Charshiya built around the XVIII-XIX centuries. When the city of Gjakova is founded, after some vital facilities were constructed, during XVII-XVIII century, “Saraj Hill” complex started constructing. In this complex, there were three old stone houses in front of Tahsum Kryeziu stone house, which were destroyed during the Balkan wars, 1910-1912. Destroyed Stone houses initially played fortification role i.e. Albanian soldiers were there to protect the city, while Tahsum Beg Stone house served as the family residence.
During the last war in 1999, Serbian forces destroyed the Stone house of Albehar Kryeziu, which was located in the south of the complex, and played the observation role of Saraj. During this war, Iljaz Kryeziu Stone house is also damaged or destroyed, which means that only Tahsum Bey Stone house survived from the whole Saraj complex.
Position and place where this premise was built makes it to be distinct from all sides of the city (along with Hadum Mosque), which has been composed with other premises around as Laz Bey Stone house, Saraj, Clock Tower and shops.
The storey-height is ground floor is plus two floors. Looking at the basic, the premise is divided into two premises having the same symmetry.
The ground floor has a rectangular shape, where east and west is expanded with octagon annexes that form a porch giving an imposing appearance.
Ground floor is built with walls of stone ordered and linked on a regular basis around the perimeter of the premise with thickness 80 cm, where there are openings for the main entrance and economic and also some openings for lighting, with small pre-measures and high parapet.
The primary function of the ground floor was dedicated to housing, and with time its function has changed so that today only half of the Stone house from the west side is used for residential purposes, while the other half is used as a warehouse.
The first floor was built of baked brick walls, with thickness of 60 cm, arranged in an orderly manner with lime mortar having many openings in exterior walls.
The inner space is divided with walls of baked bricks. The function of the first floor is dedicated for guests, sleeping, and daily stay.
The second floor is constructed in the same way as the first floor. The function of the second floor is dedicated for daily stay and sleeping.
Construction within Interstitial space is made of wooden beams having floor from wooden decks. The roof structure is made of wood, covered with traditional tiles. Characteristic of the roof is that roof is supported through external walls, rests in the shelter of zigzag nature, with highly decorative baked bricks like Ancak from outer wall.
Looking the facades of the premise, there are many decorative elements, door openings are made with massive carved stones ending with semi-arches, and windows are also made of baked bricks with semi-circular end.
This stone house r is considered as one of the most imposing stone houses and the largest not only in Dukagjin but beyond. In order to protect this premise, some conservation – restoration works were made in 2014, within the roof of the premise and partially on the facade.
Century: XVIII - XIX
Under temporary protection, Date of Protection: October-2012