Kusari Mosque is one of the most characteristic mosques in Gjakova and it is located in a place called “Kusari Neighbourhood” from where it received its name. The inscription found in the mosque sermon writes that it was built in 1800. In 1916 an adjustment was made where porch and hall were surrounded and two rooms were created which have served as schools (mejteps) for a long time.
The mosque in question is built from stone and mud, while the minaret as usual is of stone, in a relatively good condition but in order to prevent it from any damage, remediation actions are needed. The distinctiveness of this premise is the shelter which rests on stiffeners. Walls on all sides are of limestone and mortar. In the interior we noticed a mahvill with “trapazona” (wooden fence) decorated, while the floor structure is made of Wood and the floor from wooden panels. Even the pulpit is in its original condition and well maintained. Windows and doors are replaced. The windows on the ground floor are regular tetrahedron shaped, while the upper windows end in arc dome shape. In the interior a good preserved dome. The construction of the dome and roof are made of wood and roof coverings of Mediterranean tiles. Plot perimeter wall made by mud and the attic were demolished and a new wall was built of strong material and ornamental metal fence. In the yard of the mosque, some graves with stones decorated characteristics were found.
Recent interventions in the premise of the mosque and in the yard were made by the believers frequenting the mosque, during 2003-2004.
Under temporary protection, Date of Protection: October-2012