Hadum’s Mosque built in 1594/95
The complex of Hadum’s Mosque, the symbol of the city of Gjakova, which, according to the legend, is related to the beginning of the civic life, presents the cultural, educational and religious center of this settlement. Next to it there was the library that was bigger that the mosque, and next to the library was the school. Sylejman Hadim aga, apart from this complex, constructed near to that a muvakit, an inn, a hammam and some shops that constitute the core of the Grand Bazaar. Foreigners considered it like “a monument of Albanian culture… unique monument in all Albanian lands” (Ridelmajer), that “could easily compare to the mosques in Istanbul” (Myller).
Its layout consists of the prayer hall, the corridor and the minaret. The hall is covered with a dome rising directly on pendentives on the corners of the bearing walls. This specific construction presents the sole such construction solution in Kosovo.
The interiors are decorated with arabesques, mural paintings, stylized sceneries, in some cases with motives from national architecture (from Dukagjini tower houses), cypresses, calm natures, plant ornaments, geometrical shapes, citations form Quran.
Around it there used to be graves with gravestones accomplished in plastic stone of the most popular personalities of Gjakova and its vicinity.
In 1999 this complex was burnt, with the mosque the only surviving building with shelled minaret, burnt entrance and damaged arabesques.
In the justification of the decision on protection of this complex, which included the mosque, the library, the school, fountain and cemeteries, it is stated that the mosque, constructed of stones with square foundation with dome over pendentives and the portico with three domes over massive columns, from the way it is constructed, and its greatness and preservation, presents an important monument of the medieval Islamic architecture. It is under protection by law since 1955.
Hasan Aga’s Mosque in Rogova built 400 years ago
On the decision for protection of this building it is stated that the mosque and the minaret are covered with lead, and that in the inner part of the walls there are eight strong columns that carry the pendentives and the dome, that the methods for construction of this mosque has similarities with the Hadum’s Mosque, that in it the school premises were preserved, and that the internal decorations present the provincial art, and around it there were cemeteries with tombstones and epitaphs from earlier periods until 1932, when the school was constructed in that place.
It is under protection by law since 1970.
Mahmut Pasha’s Mosque
Founded in 1802 by Mahmut pasha of the Gjakovar family of Kurtpashas, a famous family in all Albanian lands, with two meyteps (schools) and two garrets and a minaret with two sharafs.
Built in 1770, it represents a typical mosque of this area me characteristic roof and a strong minaret where square stones can be noticed.
Built in 1854 by three families from the same bloodline (from mullahasans, mullashabans and mullamuslis), in terms of size and beauty, it comes right after Hadum’s Mosque. It has a beautiful minaret made from sculpted stone, two rooms in the entrance and a yard with a spring.